A LISTENING CHURCH
After four months of the local process LIVING AS A SYNODAL CHURCH, the Archdiocese of San Antonio is feeling much joy and excitement. In many communities synodal encounters have started, and in others the preparation and discussions with pastors are underway. As part of the synodal conversion to which all the baptized are called, we want to invite everyone to make a significant impact through their participation. Archbishop Gustavo García-Siller, M.Sp.S., desires that the voices of lay faithful from all the parishes—in rural and urban areas—be heard as a testament of fellowship and hope for the discernment of the vision for the local Church for years to come. One way to participate is through the campaign titled: A Listening Church. The archdiocese will use its social media outlets to feature a number of submissions received by the Communications Department to showcase why it is important to participate in the synodal process in our communities.
WE INVITE YOU TO SUBMIT ONE VIDEO REFLECTION OF UP TO 2-MINUTES (ENGLISH OR SPANISH, IT’S UP TO YOU!).
Make your message exciting, fun, and spiritually driven. You are asked to reflect on the following ideas/questions:
1. Why is it important for me to participate in this Synodal Process or a Synodal Encounter in my group or parish community?
2. If someone has decided already not to participate, why should he/she reconsider and give the process a chance?
Videos accompanied by the proper release form will be randomly selected and posted in our social media accounts on a regular basis.
GENERAL VIDEO RECORDING GUIDELINES
When submitting your videos, consider below guidelines:
• There is no anticipated deadline for video submissions but they can close at the discretion of the Archdiocese of San Antonio.
To make it as simple as possible to you, we encourage the use of your smartphone to record your reflections.
• If you are using your mobile device (cell phone or tablet), please record your videos in a landscape format (horizontally). See the illustration below. Recording in vertical-style (mobile phone style / Instagram-like) will add two black bars to the sides and prevent our team to provide a consistent experience for the participants. If you have other questions, email Veronica Markland in our Communications Department at or call 210-734-2620 ext. 1111.
• Consider your environment… Your background adds a lot to your presentation. Avoid as much as possible a poorly-lit face and set your camera to a MEDIUM CLOSE-UP shot to easily capture your facial expressions (see PICTURE A above):
• Frame your head and cut off around mid-chest
• The focus must be on you
• Reveal only a little of the surroundings
• Inasmuch possible, record in a quiet and fairly-silent environment to optimize the sound quality.
• Your message SHOULD NOT be longer than 2 minutes so avoid longer reflections before or after your message. Jump right into the message you want to relay.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO
In order to be able to link your video submission with your release form, at the beginning of your recording, say your name, make a short pause and start sharing your message. Since the videos will be in most cases, impossible to send as an email attachment, upon recording you can upload your video to DropBox by clicking here.
If easier for you, use your Google Drive and share the link with Veronica Markland at her email address.
Should you have questions or concerns, email Veronica Markland.