​Archbishop Patricio Fernandez Flores, 87, dies Jan. 9 of pneumonia and congestive heart failure

Posted by:

Catholic News Agency

Archbishop Patricio Fernandez Flores, 87, fourth archbishop of San Antonio who was the first Mexican-American elevated to the hierarchy in the Catholic Church in the United States, dies Jan. 9

Archbishop Patricio Fernandez Flores, 87, fourth archbishop of San Antonio who was the first Mexican-American elevated to the hierarchy in the Catholic Church in the United States, died of pneumonia and congestive heart failure on Jan. 9, 2017 at Padua Place residence for retired priests in San Antonio. He had previously been briefly hospitalized at Baptist Medical Center.

The sixth of nine children of Patricio Flores and Trinidad Fernandez de Flores, he was born July 26, 1929 in Ganado.

From the hot, humid cotton fields of the Coastal Bend region to the campus of the archdiocesan Pastoral Center in San Antonio is an awesome distance. And, it can be a yawning gulf for a Mexican-American child, a son of illiterate migrant workers. Such was the route of Patricio Flores’ life journey.

The young “Ticho” Flores (his family’s nickname for Patricio Flores) always knew he was going to be a priest. Guadalupe Flores, the archbishop’s youngest brother, noted in a 2004 Today’s Catholic newspaper interview that “Ticho” was always saying, “I’m going to be a priest. I’m going to the seminary.” His brother Alfred added, “He never varied from that from the time he was a youngster. That was his dream.”

The archbishop’s younger sister, Mary Moreno, remembered “Ticho” going up and down the road in front of the family home in Pearland, praying the rosary. “He was always very close to God,” she added.

She also recalled his ardent pleas to his mother to let him become a priest, something she was initially against, as she feared that if he entered the seminary they would never get to see him again due to the distance and cost of travel.

When his sister Mary was given parental permission to marry at a young age, it gave Patricio new fuel for his pleas: “If you let Mary get married, why can’t you let me be a priest?”

Reminiscing about their childhood, Guadalupe recalled a family rich in love, if not material possessions. “Store-bought toys were few and far between,” he said. The young Flores children played the usual children’s games — marbles, tag, and hide-and-go-seek.

There was no Catholic parish in the rural community of Pearland, the nearest being 17 miles away in Houston or in Alvin. Roads were poor and the family lacked reliable transportation, so in place of Sunday Mass, the family would regularly gather to pray the rosary.

At that time, there was a missionary priest, Father Frank “Panchito” Urbanovsky, who traveled about setting up an altar and celebrating Mass for migrant farmworkers from a trailer pulled by his truck, and the Flores family attended these liturgies. This priest would also give religious instruction during his stays, and Guadalupe recounted how young Patricio eventually took it upon himself to teach catechism to the area children.

“I studied catechism under him,” says Guadalupe, noting that his brother taught him so well that, when the time came, he was able to go straight to the priest at church, was summarily examined and made his first Holy Communion. At one time, Patricio’s religion class numbered 10 students.

Young Patricio had a light side as well, and loved to sing and dance, sister Mary recalled. The two were repeat winners in a dance contest in Houston, performing the Mexican Hat Dance.

Patricio also dabbled in music, his siblings recalled, acquiring a marimba from a family of entertainers who were touring from Monterrey. At one time, Patricio also played the piano and had an accordion. Guadalupe noted that their parents frequently sang at home and their father played music as well. “It was never a ‘sad sack’ house,” he said.

Mary remembered the teenage Patricio helping stage numerous entertainment events to raise funds to fight education discrimination in their area. At that time, the area school for Mexican-Americans, which only included grades one through eight, had one teacher for all grades and a wood-burning stove for heat.

Fund-raising programs were presented in several towns on two or three truck beds, with an admission charge of 50 cents to watch children perform music, dances and skits. The boys’ attire consisted of jeans, shirts and red bandanas, while the girls were dressed in white blouses with brightly colored skirts and sashes sewn by their mothers, who also sold tamales during the events. Enough money was raised to hire a lawyer, and eventually the legal case for educational equality was won and Mexican-American children were allowed to attend the regular public school.

The Flores family lived on an 82-acre farm, growing okra, corn and cotton, and Guadalupe recalled the family practice of their gathering out in the fields to pray for rain. “The rosary was one of the strong things,” he added. “We depended on the crop.”

At times, the family would travel throughout the state — from Corpus Christi to Lubbock — picking crops such as mustard, carrots, and turnips, then return home in October, when the children would resume school.

“When we were done working at the end of each day, we each went our own way,” Alfred added. “And Patricio would walk one mile and then another, reading his Bible all the way.”

In his 1987 biography The Mariachi Bishop, by Brother Martin McMurtrey, SM, Archbishop Flores conceded that he would never have persevered in his lengthy pilgrimage to the priesthood without the friendly and determined guidance of Sister Benitia Vermeersch, CDP, foundress of the Missionary Catechists of Divine Providence, who recognized both his talent and his vocation and took him, in 1947, to be interviewed by Bishop Christopher Byrne of the Galveston-Houston Diocese. With the encouragement of that nun and bishop, Flores completed three years of high school in two calendar years — earning academic honors — while studying on the side for the-then required Latin for the seminary.

While he was successful in his studies, controversy found him. He was arrested for arson and held incognito by Pearland police trying to force a confession until his sister Mary located him in jail and notified Bishop Byrne. Patricio was exonerated, but because of his own ordeal, Flores cared deeply for the incarcerated and often celebrated Masses in jails and prisons.

After Flores’ ordination to the priesthood by Bishop Wendelin Nold on May 26, 1956 in the Diocese of Galveston-Houston, he served as assistant pastor of Holy Name Parish in Houston, and pastor of Guardian Angel Parish and also of St. Joseph-St. Stephen’s Parish, both in Houston.

In addition, he served as director of the Christian Family Movement, and as director of the Bishop’s Committee for the Spanish-Speaking, a ministry that encouraged bilingual congregations.

He was also prominent in the Cursillo and co-founded PADRES (Padres Asociados para Derechos Religiosos, Educativos, y Sociales) — Priests Associated for Religious, Education, and Social Rights — an organization meant to draw attention to the problems of Hispanics in the church and society. Both were then controversial Hispanic movements.

When he was called to Washington by the Vatican’s U.S. Apostolic Delegate Luigi Raimondi in 1970, Father Flores expected a reprimand, not a promotion.

Instead, on May 5, in San Antonio, he was consecrated at the age of 40 as the first Mexican-American bishop of the United States. The event produced a tremendous display of Hispanic devotion and admiration. His episcopal motto was Laborabo non mihi sed omnibus, “I will work not for myself but for others.”

In 1972, Bishop Flores was instrumental in establishing the Mexican American Cultural Center in San Antonio, a national center for pastoral education and language studies for Hispanic ministry, particularly ministry to Mexican Americans. He also founded the National Foundation for Mexican-American Vocations.

He then founded the National Hispanic Scholarship Fund in 1976, which has helped thousands of students earn their bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.

On May 29, 1978, Bishop Flores was installed as prelate of the Diocese of El Paso. He served in that capacity for only 15 months until October 1979, when the pontiff named him archbishop of San Antonio, at that time the largest ecclesiastical province in the United States. He was installed on Oct. 13, 1979. Pope John Paul II conferred the pallium on Archbishop Flores on May 25, 1982.

During his tenure, Archbishop Flores served as a member of the Immigration and Refugee Department of the United States Catholic Conference, chairman of the Church in Latin America Committee of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops, and chairman of the Texas Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights.

Archbishop Flores was one of only four bishops elected to represent the hierarchy of the United States at the 1983 Synod of Bishops in Rome, and, in January 1985, was one of three American prelates invited to visit Cuba on a courtesy exchange between episcopal bishops’ conferences.

In February of the following year he returned to Cuba, the only U.S. bishop (along with six other prelates from the Caribbean and other Latin American regions) who were invited for a weeklong conference on the future of the Catholic Church in Cuba.

The preeminent event of Archbishop Flores’ years’ as prelate of San Antonio was the visit of Pope John Paul II to the archdiocese on September 13, 1987, as part of his nine-city tour across the United States.

The Holy Father celebrated a two-and-a-half hour Mass for a crowd of 330,000 people in a field in west San Antonio that is now the site of John Paul Stevens High School. The number of faithful gathered at the liturgy still holds the record for the largest gathering in the state of Texas.

The archbishop and the pontiff also paraded aboard the popemobile in front of the Alamo, spoke at Guadalupe Plaza near the heart of the city, and Pope John Paul II spent the evening at Assumption Seminary after speaking there to a Polish delegation from Panna Maria.

The year prior, the archbishop was awarded the Medal of Freedom (Ellis Island Medal of Honor) in honor of the Statue of Liberty’s 100th Birthday in 1986, and that same year he received the Hispanic Heritage Award for leadership.

In 1995, he was awarded the Ford Salute to Education Award sponsored by the Ford Motor Company.

He received the American Jewish Committee’s Human Relations Award as well as honorary doctoral degrees from Our Lady of the Lake University, the University of the Incarnate Word, and St. Edward’s University in Austin.

Social concerns issues were of particular importance to Archbishop Flores. In 1996, he co-founded Teletón Navideño. The proceeds from this telethon went to abandoned women with children, the elderly, the unemployed and the infirmed to help pay emergency rent, utilities and medication. In 1985, he began sponsoring an annual benefit breakfast for the Bexar County Battered Women’s Shelter.

In 1993, the archbishop initiated a fund-raiser to send handicapped children to World Youth Day in Denver to see Pope John Paul II, and that same year he established a support group for parents with sons on Death Row. It provided transportation for parents to see their sons in Huntsville State Penitentiary at least twice a month.

Heeding Pope John Paul II’s call regarding the New Evangelization and transmission of the Gospel, and with insight into immense possibilities of the new field of cable television, Archbishop Flores co-founded Catholic Television of San Antonio in 1981, making the Alamo City among just three (arch)dioceses in the United States with its own TV station at that time.

Archbishop Flores’ suit against the city of Boerne  in his bid to expand St. Peter the Apostle Church there led to the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision City of Boerne v. Flores (1997), which struck down certain provisions of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act  of 1993 as unconstitutionally exceeding the powers granted to the Congress under Section Five of the Fourteenth Amendment. 

On June 27, 2000, Archbishop Flores was held hostage for over nine hours in his office in the Chancery by Nelson Antonio Escolero, a native of El Salvador and a legal U.S. resident. Escolero had been arrested for driving with a suspended license and feared that he would be deported. Armed with a fake hand grenade, he also held the archbishop’s secretary Myrtle Sanchez for the first two hours of the stand-off. Police hostage negotiators had been in contact with Escolero throughout the day, but were taken by surprise when he released Archbishop Flores and surrendered in the evening.

Throughout the crisis, which was extensively covered on live television, viewers of many faiths prayed and hoped for the man held in high esteem.

After more than 25 years of service as archbishop, he retired on Dec. 29, 2004. He stepped down on Feb. 15, 2005 upon the installation of his successor, Archbishop José H. Gomez.

In an interview with Today’s Catholic newspaper in preparation for his retirement, Archbishop Flores was asked what he remembered most from his tenure leading the archdiocese.

He stated, “I think my priesthood as a whole. I’ve spent 48 years as a priest, and I have loved it all. If I had the chance to start all over again, I would not hesitate. I might have prepared better academically and in some other ways. But I have literally found great satisfaction in simply being a priest — being a bishop is simply assuming additional responsibility. I have found it very challenging and very satisfying. So I’ve been happy at it and will continue to be happy.”

In October 2007, A Migrant’s Masterpiece, an hour-long documentary depicting Flores’ life, premiered in San Antonio. Directed by Hector Galan, it sought to place the archbishop’s life in the context of the history of Latinos in Texas and the Civil Rights Movement in Texas. The film used rare archival film and interviews with the Flores family.

Following Archbishop Flores’ retirement, he resided briefly at Casa de Padres retirement center for priests of the archdiocese, but spent the past several years at the Padua Place residence for priests needing medical assistance.

Funeral arrangements are pending, but services will be held at San Fernando Cathedral.

El Arzobispo Patricio Fernández Flores, de 87 años, cuarto Arzobispo de San Antonio y el primer mexicano-americano en ser elevado a la jerarquía de la Iglesia Católica en Estados Unidos, ha fallecido el 9 de enero

El Arzobispo Patricio Fernández Flores, de 87 años, cuarto Arzobispo de San Antonio y el primer mexicano-americano en ser elevado a la jerarquía de la Iglesia Católica en Estados Unidos, ha fallecido el 9 de enero de 2017 a causa de neumonía e insuficiencia cardíaca en la residencia Padua Place de San Antonio. Había sido hospitalizado brevemente en el Baptist Medical Center.

Siendo el sexto de nueve hijos de Patricio Flores y Trinidad Fernández de Flores, nació el 26 de julio de 1929 en Ganado.

Desde los cálidos y húmedos campos algodoneros de la región de la zona costera, hasta las instalaciones del Centro Pastoral arquidiocesano en San Antonio, existe una portentosa distancia, además de representar una brecha abismal para un niño mexicano-americano, hijo de trabajadores inmigrantes iletrados. Esa ruta fue el trayecto de la vida de Patricio Flores.

El joven “Ticho” Flores (apodo familiar de Patricio Flores) siempre supo que iba a ser sacerdote. Guadalupe Flores, hermano menor del arzobispo, señaló en una entrevista con el periódico Today’s Catholic en 2004 que “Ticho” siempre decía: “Voy a ser sacerdote. Voy a ir al seminario”. Su hermano Alfred agregó: “El nunca cambió de opinión al respecto desde que era niño. Ese era su sueño”.

La hermana menor del arzobispo, Mary Moreno, recordaba a “Ticho” subiendo y bajando por el camino frente a la casa familiar en Pearland, rezando el rosario. “Siempre estuvo muy cerca de Dios”, agregó.

También recordaba sus ardientes súplicas a su madre para que le permitiera convertirse en sacerdote, algo a lo que ella inicialmente se oponía, pues temía que si entraba al seminario nunca volverían a verlo debido a la distancia y el costo del viaje.

Cuando su hermana Mary recibió el permiso de sus padres para casarse a temprana edad, el hecho le dio a Patricio un nuevo ímpetu para sus súplicas: “Si dejas que Mary se case, ¿por qué no me dejas ser sacerdote?”.

Rememorando su infancia, Guadalupe recordaba a una familia rica en amor, si bien no en posesiones materiales. “Los juguetes comprados en la tienda eran pocos y ocasionales”, dijo. Los niños Flores jugaban con los juegos infantiles habituales: canicas, “las traes”, “escondidas”.

No había una parroquia católica en la comunidad rural de Pearland. La más cercana estaba a 17 millas de distancia en Houston o en Alvin. Los caminos eran pobres y la familia carecía de un medio de transporte confiable, así que en lugar de la misa dominical, la familia se reunía regularmente para rezar el rosario.

En aquel entonces, había un sacerdote misionero, el padre Frank “Panchito” Urbanovsky, que iba de un lado a otro improvisando un altar para celebrar la misa para los trabajadores agrícolas migrantes desde un remolque tirado por su camión. La familia Flores asistía a estas celebraciones litúrgicas. Este sacerdote también daba instrucción religiosa durante sus estancias, y Guadalupe platicaba cómo el joven Patricio eventualmente se encargó de enseñar catecismo a los niños de la zona.

“Estudié catecismo guiada por él”, comentaba Guadalupe, haciendo notar que su hermano le enseñó tan bien que, cuando llegó el momento, pudo ir directamente con el sacerdote en la iglesia, fue examinado rápidamente y recibió su Primera Comunión. En un momento dado, la clase de religión de Patricio tenía 10 alumnos.

El joven Patricio también tenía su lado relajado, y amaba cantar y bailar, recordaba su hermana Mary. Ambos fueron ganadores más de una vez en un concurso de baile en Houston, realizando la danza del sombrero mexicano.

Recordaban sus hermanos que Patricio también se aventuró en la música, adquiriendo una marimba de una familia de artistas que viajaban desde Monterrey. Durante un tiempo Patricio también tocaba el piano y tenía un acordeón. Guadalupe señaló que sus padres cantaban frecuentemente en casa y su padre también tocaba música. Nunca fue una casa de triste, dijo.

María recordaba al adolescente Patricio ayudando a organizar numerosos eventos de entretenimiento para recaudar fondos para combatir la discriminación educativa en su área. En ese momento, la escuela de para mexicano-americanos de la zona, que sólo incluía los grados uno al ocho, tenía un maestro para todos los grados y una estufa de leña para la calefacción.

Los programas de recaudación de fondos se presentaron en varias ciudades en dos o tres camiones, con un costo de admisión de 50 centavos para ver a los niños tocar música, bailes y sketches. El atuendo de los muchachos consistía en pantalón de mezclilla, camisas y bandanas rojas, mientras que las chicas vestían blusas blancas con faldas de colores brillantes y fajas cosidas por sus madres. También vendían tamales durante los eventos. Se recaudó suficiente dinero para contratar a un abogado, y eventualmente se ganó el caso legal para la igualdad y se permitió a los niños mexicano-americanos asistir a la escuela pública regular.

La familia Flores vivía en una granja de 82 acres, cultivando quingombó, maíz y algodón, y Guadalupe recordó la práctica familiar de su reunión en los campos para rezar por la lluvia. “El rosario fue una de las cosas importantes”, añadió. “Dependíamos de la cosecha”.

A veces, la familia viajaba por todo el estado, desde Corpus Christi hasta Lubbock, recogiendo cultivos como mostaza, zanahorias y nabos, para volver a casa en octubre, cuando los niños reanudarían sus estudios.

“Cuando terminábamos de trabajar al final del día, cada quien se iba por su cuenta”, agregó Alfred. “Y Patricio caminaba una milla y luego otra, leyendo su Biblia todo el camino”.

En su biografía de 1987 El Obispo Mariachi, escrita por el Hermano Martin McMurtrey, SM, el Arzobispo Flores admitió que nunca habría perseverado en su larga peregrinación al sacerdocio sin la amable y decidida orientación de la Hermana Benitia Vermeersch, CDP, fundadora de las Catequistas Misioneras de la Divina Providencia, quien reconoció su talento y su vocación y en 1947 lo llevó a ser entrevistado por el Obispo Christopher Byrne de la Diócesis Galveston-Houston. Con el estímulo de esa monja y ese obispo, Flores completó tres años de escuela secundaria en dos años civiles, obteniendo honores académicos, mientras por otro lado estudiaba latín, que en aquél entonces se requería para el seminario.

Mientras estaba teniendo éxito en sus estudios, la controversia lo encontró. Fue arrestado por el delito de incendio provocado y llevado de incógnito por la policía de Pearland que intentaba forzar una confesión, hasta que su hermana Mary lo localizó en la cárcel y notificó al Obispo Byrne. Patricio fue exonerado, pero debido a la prueba que sufrió en carne propia, a Flores le importaban profundamente los encarcelados y a menudo celebraba misas en cárceles y prisiones.

Después de la ordenación de Flores al sacerdocio, a manos del Obispo Wendelin Nold, el 26 de mayo de 1956 en la diócesis de Galveston-Houston, fungió como vicario de la parroquia Holy Name, como párroco de la parroquia Guardian Angel y también como párroco de la parroquia St Joseph-St. Stephen, las tres en Houston.

Además se desempeñó como director del Movimiento Familiar Cristiano y como director del Comité Episcopal para los Hispanohablantes, un ministerio que alentaba a las congregaciones bilingües.

También destacó en el Cursillo y colaboró como cofundador de PADRES (Padres Asociados para los Derechos Religiosos, Educativos y Sociales), una organización creada para llamar la atención sobre los problemas de los hispanos en la Iglesia y la sociedad. En aquél entonces ambos movimientos hispanos fueron polémicos.

Cuando fue llamado a Washington en 1970 por el Delegado Apostólico de Estados Unidos, Luigi Raimondi, el Padre Flores esperaba una reprimenda, no una promoción.

El 5 de mayo, en San Antonio, fue consagrado a los 40 años de edad como el primer obispo mexicano-americano de Estados Unidos. El evento produjo una enorme muestra de devoción y admiración hispana. Su lema episcopal fue Laborabo non mihi sed omnibus, “No trabajaré para mí sino para los demás”.

En 1972, el Obispo Flores desempeñó un papel decisivo en el establecimiento del Centro Cultural Mexicano Americano (Mexican American Cultural Center) en San Antonio, un centro nacional para la educación pastoral y el estudio de idiomas para el ministerio hispano, en particular el ministerio dirigido a los mexicano-americanos. También fundó la Fundación Nacional de Vocaciones Mexicano-Americanas.

Después fundó el Fondo Hispano Nacional de Becas (National Hispanic Scholarship Fund) en 1976, que ha ayudado a miles de estudiantes a obtener su licenciatura, maestría y doctorado.

El 29 de mayo de 1978, el Obispo Flores tomó posesión como prelado de la Diócesis de El Paso. Se desempeñó brevemente en ese cargo; sólo durante 15 meses hasta octubre de 1979, cuando el Sumo Pontífice lo nombró Arzobispo de San Antonio, que en esa época era la provincia eclesiástica más grande de Estados Unidos. Tomó posesión de la arquidiócesis el 13 de octubre de 1979. El Papa Juan Pablo II confirió el palio al Arzobispo Flores el 25 de mayo de 1982.

Durante su mandato, el Arzobispo Flores fungió como miembro del Departamento de Inmigración y Refugiados de la Conferencia Católica de Estados Unidos, Presidente del Comité para la Iglesia en América Latina de la Conferencia Nacional de Obispos Católicos y Presidente del Comité Asesor de Texas ante la Comisión de Estados Unidos sobre los Derechos Civiles (Texas Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights).

El Arzobispo Flores fue uno de tan solo cuatro obispos elegidos para representar a la jerarquía de Estados Unidos en el Sínodo de los Obispos en Roma en 1983 y en enero de 1985 fue uno de los tres prelados estadounidenses invitados a visitar Cuba en un intercambio de cortesía entre conferencias episcopales.

En febrero del año siguiente volvió a Cuba, siendo el único obispo de Estados Unidos (junto con otros seis prelados del Caribe y otras regiones latinoamericanas) invitados a una conferencia de una semana sobre el futuro de la Iglesia Católica en Cuba.

El acontecimiento más destacado de los años del Arzobispo Flores como prelado de San Antonio fue la visita del Papa Juan Pablo II a la Arquidiócesis el 13 de septiembre de 1987, como parte de su gira por nueve ciudades de Estados Unidos.

El Santo Padre celebró una misa de dos horas y media para una multitud de 330,000 personas en un campo en el oeste de San Antonio, que ahora es el sitio de la Escuela Secundaria John Paul Stephens. El número de fieles reunidos en la liturgia todavía mantiene el récord de la mayor concentración de personas en el estado de Texas.

El Arzobispo y el Pontífice también desfilaron a bordo del papamóvil frente al Álamo, hablaron en la Plaza Guadalupe, cerca del corazón de la ciudad, y el Papa Juan Pablo II pasó la tarde en el Seminario de la Asunción después de hablar allí a una delegación polaca de Panna María.

El año previo, el Arzobispo recibió la Medalla de la Libertad (Ellis Island Medal of Honor) en honor al 100º cumpleaños de la Estatua de la Libertad en 1986 y ese mismo año recibió el Premio de la Herencia Hispana (Hispanic Heritage Award) por su liderazgo.

En 1995, fue galardonado con el Premio Ford Salute to Education, patrocinado por Ford Motor Company.

Recibió el Premio de Relaciones Humanas del Comité Judío Americano, así como títulos de doctor honoris causa de Our Lady of the Lake University, University of the Incarnate Word, y St. Edward’s University en Austin.

Los problemas sociales eran de particular importancia para el Arzobispo Flores. En 1996 estuvo entre los fundadores de Teletón Navideño. Los ingresos de este teletón fueron destinados para mujeres abandonadas con niños, ancianos, desempleados y enfermos, para ayudar a sufragar pagos de emergencia de renta, servicios públicos y medicamentos. En 1985 comenzó a patrocinar un desayuno anual para beneficio del refugio de mujeres maltratadas del condado de Bexar.

En 1993 el Arzobispo inició una recaudación de fondos para enviar a niños discapacitados a la Jornada Mundial de la Juventud en Denver para ver al Papa Juan Pablo II y ese mismo año estableció un grupo de apoyo para padres con hijos en el corredor de la muerte. Dicho grupo proveía transporte para que los padres pudieran ver a sus hijos en la Penitenciaría Estatal de Huntsville al menos dos veces al mes.

Acatando el llamado del Papa Juan Pablo II a la Nueva Evangelización y a la transmisión del Evangelio, y con la comprensión de las inmensas posibilidades del nuevo campo de la televisión por cable, el Arzobispo Flores participó como cofundador de la Televisión Católica de San Antonio en 1981, haciendo que la Ciudad del Álamo estuviera entre las únicas tres circunscripciones eclesiásticas en Estados Unidos que contaban con su propia estación de televisión en aquel tiempo.

La demanda del Arzobispo Flores contra la ciudad de Boerne, en su intento de expandir la Iglesia de San Pedro Apóstol, llevó a la histórica decisión de la Corte Suprema de Estados Unidos City of Boerne v. Flores (1997), que anuló ciertas disposiciones del Religious Freedom Restoration Act de 1993 por excederse inconstitucionalmente en las facultades otorgadas al Congreso, con fundamento en la Sección Cinco de la Decimocuarta Enmienda.

El 27 de junio de 2000, el Arzobispo Flores fue retenido como rehén por más de nueve horas en su oficina en la Cancillería por Nelson Antonio Escolero, natural de El Salvador y residente legal en Estados Unidos. Escolero había sido arrestado por conducir con una licencia suspendida y temía ser deportado. Armado con una granada de mano falsa, también retuvo el secretario del arzobispo Myrtle Sánchez durante las primeras dos horas de la confrontación. Los negociadores de rehenes de la policía habían estado en contacto con Escolero durante todo el día, pero fueron sorprendidos cuando liberó al Arzobispo Flores y se rindió en la noche.

A lo largo de la crisis, que fue ampliamente cubierta en la televisión en vivo, los espectadores, de muy diversas creencias, oraban y aguardaban con esperanza a un hombre a quien tenían en alta estima.

Después de más de 25 años de servicio como arzobispo, se retiró el 29 de diciembre de 2004. Dejó el cargo el 15 de febrero de 2005 con la toma de posesión de su sucesor, el Arzobispo José H. Gómez.

Durante una entrevista para el periódico Today’s Catholic en 2004, en preparación para su retiro, se le preguntó al Arzobispo Flores qué recordaba más de su mandato al frente de la Arquidiócesis. Declaró: “Creo que mi sacerdocio en su conjunto. He vivido 48 años como sacerdote, y lo he amado todo. Si tuviera la oportunidad de empezar de nuevo, no lo dudaría. Podría haberme preparado mejor académicamente y de otras maneras. Pero literalmente he encontrado gran satisfacción en ser simplemente un sacerdote. Ser obispo es simplemente asumir una responsabilidad adicional. Me ha resultado muy desafiante y muy satisfactorio. Así que he sido feliz y seguiré siendo feliz”.

En octubre de 2007, A Migrant’s Masterpiece, un documental de una hora que presenta la vida de Flores, se estrenó en San Antonio. Dirigido por Héctor Galán, buscó situar la vida del Arzobispo en el contexto de la historia de los latinos en Texas y del Movimiento por los Derechos Civiles en Texas. La película utilizó documentos fílmicos de archivo poco conocidos y entrevistas con la familia de Flores.

Después de su jubilación, el Arzobispo Flores residió brevemente en el centro de retiro Casa de Padres para los sacerdotes de la Arquidiócesis, pero transcurrió sus últimos años en la residencia Padua Place para los sacerdotes que requieren asistencia médica.

Los arreglos funerarios están pendientes, pero los oficios se llevarán a cabo en la Catedral de San Fernando.